What does the Maelstrom Network collect?
As of this writing, we have the capabilities of collecting the following information as part of your use of the Network:
- Full Name (May be provided automatically by a third party authentication you connect with)
- Email Address
- Technical information about your use of the Network, including what authentication methods you have connected with
Other than as noted above, we do not make any attempt to connect, scrape, or otherwise find out information about you in any manner outside of you directly volunteering said information. We may from time to time collect other information through voluntary surveys. Participation in these services is not required for continued use of the Maelstrom Network and is solely for the improvement of our service offerings.
What do you do with this information?
Our collection of your information is primarily for the purposes of serving as a trusted distributor of this information, and other resources, to third parties at your direction. The Maelstrom Network is designed such that, should you not elect to provide any information to a requesting party other than your login information, the application will only recieve an identifier unique to that application and cannot be directly tied to you. Should you provide additional information to applications they may be able to use this information to build a personal profile about you which is outside of the control of the Maelstrom Network.
We may use contact information, such as email, to inform you of material changes to our service. Though we strongly encourage you to do so, providing contact information is strictly voluntary. Contact information will not be provided to any third parties without your permission.
We may use your information to improve our own products. Additionally, we may provide to third party applications demographic information about their user base. This information will only be provided in an aggregate format and will never be provided in such a way that any personally identifiable information may be discerned by the third party application that was not expressly authorized by you to be provided.
How do you secure my resources?
The security of your resources under control of the Maelstrom Network is paramount to us. In order to protect access to your resources, we have implemented following disclosed security measures. In addition, we may have additional, undisclosed security measures protecting your information. In order to better allow us to provide this protection, we may not always be able to fully disclose information about all security measures in place.
- We have in place managerial protections around our internal use of your resources. We will never internally use your resources outside of the bounds of this policy and take steps to ensure even our internal users do not have improper unauthorized access to your resources.
- We have in place electronic security around the resources hosted by the Maelstrom Network. We take care to ensure no unauthorized outside access can be made to your resources.
- Security information about you, including your passwords and connections to third-party authentication services, are encrypted with industry-standard methods. We do this such that in an unfortunate circumstance our electronic security measures are bypassed, your secure information is still not neccesarily exposed. When possible (such as with passwords), we will protect information with one-way hashing algorithms to further reduce the liklihood of a successful attack.
- We have taken care to design the Network in such a way that it is difficult for third parties to gain access to resources they are not authorized by you to recieve. We make every attempt to prevent third parties from gaining access via exploits or deception.
We do not consider the future addition of increased security measures to materially modify this policy, though if these measures are publicly disclosable and of interest to users it is likely we will announce them.
How can I control my resources held by the Maelstrom Network?
Your information and resources can be controlled in several different ways, depending on the nature of the resource. Should you be unable to control your information as desired or wish to completely erase all information known about you and shut down your account, please contact Network Support. Shutting down your account will be done in accordance with our Terms and Conditions.
Information that is personally identifiable, demographic in nature, or can be used to contact you may be edited through your Profile Page. Note that certain information, such as your preferred name, is required but may be obscured.
Information about third-party authentication methods such as Facebook or Twitter may be controlled from the Linked Accounts page.
How can I control how my resources are provided to third parties?
Resources will be provided to third party applications only at your direction. Access to your resources by applications may be revoked at any time through the Manage applications panel. Upon revokation, applications will immedately cease to have further access to any resources, such as data about you, files, or ability to charge your account. However, it is technically impossible for us to force applications to delete any files or data they have previously retrieved.
We will never intentionally provide any unique personal information about you to third parties except as directed by you or required by law. Additionally, we reserve the right to provide information to law enforcement in a manner not expressly required or prescribed by law in a case we reasonably believe to be an emergency, such as to prevent harm to a child, or death or serious injury to any person.
In the case we recieve a legal or emergency request for your information, we will make every reasonable attempt to contact you before discloure unless prevented by statute or court order. In an emergency request situation, we will attempt to contact you upon request, but will provide the information in a manner that befits the expediency if you are not immediately responsive.
We will not respond to requests for information from individuals outside of law enforcement. Should you require information about another user, you are required to go through proper legal channels. This includes emergency situations.